For its 2015 vintage, Château MARGAUX is once again unveiling a special presentation that reminds us of that of Château MOUTON-ROTHSCHILD in 2000.
In addition to an exceptional 2015 vintage, this luxurious ornament celebrates the bicentenary of the spectacular architecture of Château MARGAUX recently magnified by the world-famous designer Lord Norman Foster. He also pays tribute to Paul Pontallier, general manager of the property since 1989, who passed away in March 2016.
We had classified the various French regions of AOC wine production (see below the news of July 2).
Here is the world ranking of the top 10 wine producing countries (in % of world production):
• 16% Italy
• 15% France
• 14% Spain
• 9% U.S.A.
• 6% Australia
• 5% Argentina
• 5% China
• 4% South Africa
• 4% Chile
• 3% Germany
From which it emerges that:
- The Italy+France+Spain+Portugal quartet alone represents half of the world wine production,
- Europe is well ahead with 60%, followed by America (22%), Oceania (8%), Asia (6%) and Africa (4%),
- Germany (10th) is now ahead of Portugal (11th),
- China, in full expansion of its vineyard, is already ranked 7th in the world.
2017 has been a busy year for Bordeaux, with a lot of changes of ownership in the Grands Crus, including:
• Ch. Troplong-Mondot (Saint-Émilion) purchased by the french insurance company SCOR,
• Ch. Fonroque (Saint-Émilion) purchased by an insurer from Nantes, M. Guillard,
• Ch. Berliquet (Saint-Émilion) purchased by the firm Chanel (Ch. Canon et Rauzan-Ségla),
• Ch. Haut-Batailley (Pauilllac) purchased by the Cazes family (Ch. Lynch-Bages et Ormes de Pez),
• Ch. Phélan-Ségur (Saint-Estèphe) purchased by a Belgian industrialist (Sea-Invest),
• Ch. Bellefond-Belcier (Saint-Émilion), transaction in progress,
• Ch. Le Sartre (Pessac-Léognan), transaction in progress.
Bordeaux is not the only French wine-growing region that catches investor’s attention. After the purchase of Clos Rougeard (Saumur) by MM. Bouygues (Ch. Montrose) last July, now the Clos de Tart (Côte de Nuits) has just been purchased by M. Pinault (Ch. Latour).
And the year is not over yet…